Purchasing a forklift is a huge decision that requires thousands of dollars. Unfortunately, this needs to be done every few years when a Moffett Forklift ends its economic cycle. They need to be replaced by a Moffett forklift for sale. Companies go through an evaluation process.
- They analyze the operations of the company.
- Has the usage of the Motte forklift increased or decreased?
- Is the company’s operation expanding?
- When will they expand?
- Where will they expand?
Questions like these help companies evaluate what type of forklift they want. Are they looking for a flatbed truck with a forklift or a truck-mounted forklift? Are they looking for a forklift to be used on muddy terrain? Will they need a new Forklift or a used one? Is the brand being used reliable? Is it price competitive? And so much more.
But there are times when you are not in a position to take out capital for a new forklift or the weekly usage is too low. In such a scenario used, Moffett Forklift is available to rescue you. But there are a few things one needs to look out for before purchasing a used forklift. Let us have a look :
What To Look For in a Used Moffett Forklift for sale
- First, look at the Forks.
Always inspect the forks for damage. Are there any cracks, signs of wear and tear, or bends? Check the heel of the fork. Is it thick enough to bear the required weight? Are the back and the front of the fork have the same thickness? Check out for cracks; they are a warning sign that the forks need a replacement.
- Have a look at the lift chains.
See for signs of welding. Are there welding marks? Are there any missing links/ pins or cracks fixed? Remember! Poor welding jobs can lead to questioning the structural strength of the mast.
- Check the smoothness of the mast.
Raise the forks high enough to check the smoothness of the mast on the second and third levels. Any difficulty means the chains are not lubricated. They are worn out or need some fixing. Remember, the shape of the mast roller matters. Oval-shaped wheels show signs of excessive usage.
- Don’t forget to look at the tires.
Bend down and look for chunking signs on the tire. Also, see if the wear line/ safety line is visible or not. Both of these signs are clear indicators of worn-out tires. If you cannot detect any, look at the tire’s letters. If the rim reaches the base of the letters, then the forklift’s tires need to be changed.
- Check the battery of the Forklift.
Look out for how many years and how many shifts the battery of the Moffett forklift has been working. Also, check out for signs of acid corrosion on the battery terminal. It is estimated that a battery working on a single shift will last for up to 5 years. Do your calculations before purchasing the forklift.
- How well is the engine of the forklift working?
Check the oil signs on the dipsticks. Low oil can indicate leakage. Also, see the belts. Are they lubricated enough and running smoothly? Lastly, don’t forget to check the brakes and transmission fluids.
- Access the leaks, If any
Check the mast cylinders and radiators for any sign of leakage. Also, keep a lookout for any kind of emissions.
Are you buying the Forklift?
Apart from the points mentioned above, there are a few more things. For example
- Check the safety features.
- Look for any possible leaks.
- Try purchasing the machinery from verified sites like Bobby Park. They have been selling various types of forklifts and other machinery since 1972.
- Try to avoid purchasing internationally to avoid freight charges.
- It will be ideal to take a technician along so that the forklift is properly checked.
Let us have a look at some frequently asked questions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How do I choose a good forklift?
Ans: It is essential to look at various features of the forklift. For example
- The capacity to carry weight.
- The type of motor is used?
- What kind of gasoline is being used? For example, gasoline, Diesel, LPG(Liquid petroleum gas), or CNG (Compressed natural gas).
- How is it operated?
Q: What type of forklift is best for dirt and gravel?
Ans: Pneutanic forklifts are considered best to use on dirt and gravel. Their tires provide a strong grip in muddy places like lumber yards making it an ideal choice.
Q: What is the most reliable forklift brand?
Ans: Companies like Toyota, Mitsubishi, and Komatsu are famous for their forklifts.
Read also more information